Nintendo NX watch continues here at PSVG with a quick round-up of the current NX related rumors circulating the web.
Rumor #1 – NX Reveal Event Planned for October 21
The latest buzz on the much sought after NX reveal is that it is coming October 21st. Why the 21st? Well that can be attributed to Nintendo of Canada’s Communications Manager Andrew Collins implying that a Nintendo Direct would the the method Nintendo would deploy to unveil their next hardware device. The 21st date that is circulating can be attributed to Squish Turtle who published the following;
The date is likely for a few reasons, the first being that it stands as exactly five years to the day the first Nintendo Direct was released online in 2011. At the time, the company used it to promote upcoming games such as Mario Kart 7 on Nintendo 3DS.
The format was a success with fans and has since been adopted to announce big titles, smaller indie games and even to replace press conferences at the annual E3 event.
The late-October timeframe has been a hotbed for big Nintendo announcements. The following year hosted announcements for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, followed by Wii U console updates in following weeks. In 2013, a “mini Direct” was released in Japan in the same week, with a larger “Monster Hunter Direct” one week later. The same week in 2014 was host to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Direct.
While I do believe the theory is sound, I would point out that the most current Nintendo Directs, those used during the Wii U’s lifecycle, promoting Nintendo ‘next-year’ announcements have come in November’s, not Octobers. This has only not been the case in 2013 when the November Direct was strictly for 3DS. Now it makes more sense in my opinion for NX to be unveiled in October than November and the anniversary makes for a good story, but it is still a stretch to proclaim that October 21 is the date without more evidence from a Nintendo source.
- Nov 2013 – The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Mario Party Island Tour, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World,
- Nov 2014 – Majora’s Mask, Codenamed STEAM, NES Remix on 3DS, Mario Kart DLC,
- Nov 2015 – Zelda U shown, Cloud announced for Smash, Twilight Princess HD, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Mother 3 (in Japan), Pokemon RBY, new amiibo
Rumor #2 – New Hybrid Details
Kevin Cassidy (aka RawMeatCowboy) from the great Nintendo focused blog GoNintendo has an article featuring a YouTube video from widely famous YouTuber Boogie2988. The video is of Boogie2988 answering questions on a panel and he goes into NX with some detail. Be sure to thank Kevin from GoNintnedo by following the very useful https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet
Highlights begin near the 34 minute mark and include;
- Info on the NX comes from two people that have interacted with system, with one specifically from Ubisoft
- Programming for the NX is ‘very nice’ and ‘a dream’
- Ubisoft contact says the NX is a great concept
- Assassin’s Creed is used by Boogie as an example of a gameplay concept, but not confirmed as coming to NX
- In the example, you have a unit attached to your TV where you play the Assassin’s Creed console game
- Then you can detach the unit and play the Assassin’s Creed mobile game on the go