The moment The Legend of Zelda fans have been waiting for, Breath of the Wild DLC Pack #1 – The Master Trials releases tomorrow (June 30th) on Nintendo Switch and Wii U. According to a Japanese ad for the Master Trials DLC, the expansion weighs in at just 456MB on Nintendo Switch. For some unknown reason, the Wii U version is said to measure in at a heavier 3.76GB.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Expansion Pass: The Master Trials ($20) – More adventures await in the Master Trials pack, available June 30. By completing the Trial of the Sword challenge, Link will prove that he has grown worthy, and the Master Sword will be awakened to always be in its glowing, powered-up state while usable. This content can only be obtained by purchasing the $19.99 Expansion Pass, which also includes The Champion’s Ballad, the second DLC Pack that will be available this holiday season. Full version of the game is required to use this DLC.
Here is a breakdown of everything The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – The Master Trials has to offer:
- Trial of the Sword: By accessing this location, players can challenge the new Trial of the Sword (previously known as “Cave of Trials Challenge”), where enemies appear one after another. Link starts without any armor or weapons, and if he defeats all of the enemies in the room he can proceed to the next area. Trial of the Sword will include around 45 total rooms for players to complete. When Link clears all of the trials, the true power of the Master Sword will awaken and always be in its glowing powered-up state.
- Master/Hard Mode: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is already considered one of the most thrilling games in The Legend of Zelda series, and fans looking for a challenge are in for a treat with the new Hard Mode. In Hard Mode, the “ranks” of enemies in the game are increased (i.e. Red Bokoblins change to Blue), and players might even encounter higher-ranking enemies they wouldn’t find through normal play. Enemies will also slowly recover health in battle, forcing you to defeat them more quickly. They will also more easily spot Link as he approaches them, making these enemies tougher to sneak up on. In addition, floating planks held aloft by balloons will be scattered around Hyrule. By successfully reaching these planks, players can battle enemies and collect treasure.
- Hero’s Path Mode: Exploring Hyrule is exciting, but with such a large world it’s sometimes hard for players to remember where they’ve been. To help with tracking progress, the new Hero’s Path Mode will document every step players take, and mark their path in green on the map. The route taken will be tracked for the player’s last 200 hours of play time, with an included slider to track footsteps on a timeline. This even works retroactively, so players that have already put many hours into the game will be able to see where they have traveled. This feature will help in identifying the locations they haven’t visited in this vast world, and may help players find those Shrines they haven’t encountered yet.
- Travel Medallion: There will be a new treasure chest somewhere in the game world which contains the Travel Medallion. With the Travel Medallion, players can create a temporary new travel point on the map where they are currently standing. Link can then transport himself to that point at any time. Only one travel point can be registered on the map at a time.
- Korok Mask: By finding the new Korok Mask, players will have a much easier time finding Korok locations in the game. When equipped, the mask will shake, indicating that a Korok is hidden somewhere nearby.
- New Equipment: Eight new pieces of equipment inspired by previous characters and games in the series will be added to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild after downloading the first DLC pack. Once discovered by the player, they will yield equipment themed after fan-favorite games and characters such as Midna, Tingle, Phantom and Majora’s Mask.
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
- GoNNER – GoNNER from Raw Fury and Art in Heart is a challenging, procedurally generated 2D platformer with roguelike elements. The game follows the largely misunderstood and altruistic Ikk on a journey to cheer up his only friend in this world – a giant land-bound whale named Sally – by searching for just the right trinket in the deep and dark places nearby.
Virtual Console on Wii U
- BONK 3 Bonk’s Big Adventure – It’s up to Bonk once again to thwart the plans of the evil King Drool in this TurboGrafx-16 platformer. There are seven rounds scattered throughout the Dinosaur Kingdom, each one filled with fun contraptions and comical enemies. Depending on the situation, you can change your size to bonk your way through a dead end or to get a hard-to-reach item. And if that’s not enough, you can grab a friend and put your heads together to defeat King Drool in the two-player mode.
- Devil’s Crush – In this TurboGrafx-16 pinball game, shoot the ball onto the board with the Devil Shooter, and then use flippers to rack up a high score. Complete certain conditions to play up to six different bonus stages. The game’s ominous theme is enhanced by its enemies: wandering skeleton knights, sorcerers and even a giant face that changes from a goddess to a sinister serpent.
Also new this week:
- ACA NEOGEO Magical Drop II (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch)
- Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- 6180 the moon (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- Preston Sterling (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
My Nintendo Pikmin Rewards – The Hey! PIKMIN game is coming to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on July 28. To celebrate, My Nintendo is offering the Pikmin Short Movie, directed by Shigeru Miyamoto, for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Redeem your points to watch the colorful antics of Pikmin in this adorable cinematic adventure. And don’t forget this new Hey! PIKMIN wallpaper, too!
My Nintendo Rewards Starting July 1 – School is done for the year, so it’s time to enjoy summer break. To add some fun to your vacation, we are offering up to 40 percent discounts on select games to play on the go or on the big screen together with family and friends.
Want to improve your drawing skills or sketch memorable parts of your trip?
- Art Academy Lessons for Everyone! (Nintendo 3DS)
- Art Academy Home Studio (Wii U)
- Swapdoodle DLC: Animal Crossing Basic Lessons*
- Swapdoodle DLC: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time*
- Swapdoodle DLC: Mario Kart 8*
- Swapdoodle DLC: Prehistoric Life*
Great local multiplayer games!
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo 3DS)Great games to play in a car, on a plane or anywhere!
- Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (Nintendo 3DS)
- Mario Golf: World Tour (Nintendo 3DS)
- Pocket Card Jockey (Nintendo 3DS)
- Picross 3D Round 2 (Nintendo 3DS)Staycation?
Play games on the big screen!
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii U)
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
- Mario Sports Mix (Wii U)
- Super Paper Mario (Wii U)
To learn more about these and other great My Nintendo rewards, visit https://my.nintendo.com.
Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:
- New themes this week include:
- Pokémon: Look Upon the Stars
- Pokémon: Pokémon Pop